BAGELS AGAIN

Posted: 2.27.2012 | | Labels:



Bagels are just so hard to resist. I'm pretty obsessed, guys. I should be sent away to some place that treats people with bagel obsessions. I wanted to make kale bagels again because I think about them all the time like in my dreams and stuff. The problem was that my mom had been begging me to make blueberry bagels and I decided to try something new. I had a recipe picked out, (thank goodness I didn't use it) but after realizing it asked for an ingredient I did not have I ended up finding one from a blog I sometimes like to read. I went out and bought some blueberries and flour (lately flour lasts me about a week) and got right to it. These are kind of annoying to make. The berry juice adds A LOT of moisture to the dough and makes it kind of hard to handle. They taste great, but I think I'm gonna stick with my beloved kale bagels. 

Recipe tweaked from Food Coma- Blueberry Bagels

2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water
3 1/2 cups bread flour 
1 cup bread flour (use while adding blueberries)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup fresh blueberries (I used a little under a cup)

In a small bowl combine the yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup warm water. Just let it sit and fizz for a few minutes. In the meantime, in a large bowl or in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook combine the flour and salt. Add in the yeasty water and the remaining water. Knead by hand or with your mixer for 6-8 minutes. You want the dough to feel very elastic-like.
Now turn it out onto a generously floured surface and knead in the berries. The berry juice will add moisture to your dough so you will probably want to just keep sprinkling it with more flour as you need. Then place it in a well oiled bowl and cover. Let it rise for 1 hour.
Turn out onto a floured surface and cut into 8 pieces. Knead and shape each piece into a bagel/doughnut. Place these on a pan, cover and let them rest for 10 minutes.
Get your pot of water ready, fill about half way. Bring to a boil and lay a bagel in the boiling water, it should float. Let it boil for about 30 seconds on one side, then using a slotted spatula or spoon, flip it and let it boil on the other side for another 30 seconds. Repeat with all the bagels. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes.
Enjoy!